New to teaching? Mentoring? Have a BFF going into the profession? These are things I have learned over the years to have STOCKED on day 1!

1. Throat lozenges/cough drops: Bringing the teacher voice back is hard on the pipes!
  2. Band-aids for desk (I also keep a hang nail clipper, and Neosporin.They have come in use even to fix a student’s glasses)
  3. Ibuprofen. Enough said
  4. Hand lotion – In January you will thank me
  5. K-cups
  6. Eye drops/saline – I still “sometimes” use chalk. Also, my middle schoolers have a lot of contact problems
  7. Antacids
  8. Thank you notes
  9. Female supplies (if you need them) – My first year in my new job I had to go to the nurse. It was pretty embarrassing. She was awesome about it! I can’t speak to specific things men may need.
  10. Emergency cash – $5 ones
  11. Safety clips – At least one
  12. Breakfast bars or some kind of non-perishable emergency food- my classroom will be nut free this year, but there are still many I can have!
  13. Heating pad – this has been borrowed from me more times than I can recall! Bad back, neck, cramps, or just a cold room  & it can turn the day around.

*Different states have different rules on things like essential oils, Tylenol, etc., and rules on giving any kind of first aide to a child (NY is one of them). Word to the wise – If you are keeping any medicine in your desk, keep it locked. 

Good luck! If this is your first year – you have a passion that will enrich your lessons! If you are starting in a new place – you got this! And, if you have a friend or colleague who is new, the absolute best beginning of the year gift is a “how are you” and a listening ear.

Anything you keep in your desk you might be willing to share? Comment below 🙂