This is the end of my first year in a new district. It is very different from all the schools I have taught in – especially the size!

My first school graduated about 50 kids a year and I WAS the middle school language program, and this one graduates 550!

Yesterday a student asked me where a room was – and I knew! I could’ve jumped for joy. I know some folks now and have  budding friendships. Here is some advice to those of you starting a new job this fall:

1. Culture eats strategy for breakfast. You have a whole new culture to learn. Avoid jumping to conclusions as you navigate the first few months, and get to know people by asking about them and understanding their history. I am guilty of talking about previous schools too much (this is natural as you try to understand, you compare) – but you can read peoples faces – most don’t really want to hear about it.
  2. Friendships take time. All those great pals you left at your previous school took years to make, so while you crave the closeness, remember that the meaningful relationships are made over years, not weeks. I relied on my twitter account and texts/emails over the years for professional relationships. It’s completely normal to feel sad, or even homesick.
  3. Seek out the Counselor, Tech Coach, and Library Media Specialist. As soon as I start a job I hook up with these folks: 1. will help your relationships with the kids, and the other two will support advancing the quality of your lessons.
  4. Listen more than you talk. I’m a talker…love to talk. One reflection I have this year was to slow down if I am coming on too strong (especially with regards to technology). You got the job! So focus on finding what makes other people (your kids, your colleagues) special to build a team mentality. I make the most positive change is if I meet colleagues and students where they are on their continuum with no judgement, and I had to listen before I spoke to do that.
  5. Embrace the new excitement. Bravo! You are a risk taker! With these changes comes lots of professional growth. What I loved most about driving in every day was having empathy for my students in the newness of 8th grade.
  6. Be yourself. One position I struggled in (admin), I was so overcome by my need to build relationships that I didn’t “bring” what made me the candidate for the job. Now, I am very gentle in my approach in a new school, but I don’t let it deter me from being creative and taking risks. I am, however, quiet about it. If you are looking to promote change, I promise, people are quietly watching and learning as you quietly lead the way.

If you are reading this and you aren’t the newbie- pop into the new teacher’s classroom with a smile and introduction. In my small school this was the norm, but it’s easy in a big school to get lost. Small gestures that go a long way!

The book CULTURE CODE was recommended to me by Superintendent Matt Frahm. It was a life saver as I learned to navigate this new school.