After this years NYSAFLT I was inspired by two sessions: hyperdocs and stations. I am not in a Google school, and while I feel my highest level of the SAMR model happened with tech coach Annie Almekinder (@aalmekinder) using Gsuite, I am working hard to get it done in CANVAS! Here is what the kids saw – and each station offered different activity choices:

The Good:

• Students are all working at their own pace, thru different activities that they are interested in
  • I am able to have kids work on different skills simultaneously – this HYPERDOC had a reading, listening, speaking and “game” section
  • Two days before Thanksgiving, both days 50% of my kids are absent. This entire lesson can be done with their devices in class, on a plane, grandma’s house or a hotel room!
  • There is only one of me. Students began to rely on each other in a true community of learners. I heard on student today give excellent instructions on how to use Flipgrid to his row buddy. Score!

The Bad:

• There is only one of me. No matter how many student helpers I have, it seems like a lot of kids need guidance, all at once. A few need intensive support (they did in a traditional setting).
  • The prep: I spent a good 4 hours prepping for these two days – for one lesson.
  • We are only as good as our tech. Uncharged devices, no headphones, no functioning microphone, are all typical in the 1:1 classroom. But, given the prep that went into designing 7 differentiations on the lesson, I don’t have a paper alternative!
  • Wifi. It’s like a snow day. You never know if you are going to have it!

The Unsure: 

• I don’t really know what assessment for this will be like, or how many different apps I will have to go back and forth in for each child.
  • The value in a group class viewing: I stop videos in excitement to explain cultural things, or wonder with the kids. I felt like the device was coming between us.
  • Losing control. At moments nobody needed me, I felt like a bumbling fool. I wasn’t putting on a show, I wasn’t sweating or thirsty like I usually am when I teach. It wasn’t about me. It was about them and the learning.

I’m still going to work on this and make it better and better. I want to incorporate more:

1. Goals (I follow I cans in my class and I should’ve had them tied to each station)
  2. Inquiry
  3. Reflection 

Muchas gracias to @SharonLundgren (@scasso97), and Pamela Russel (@pammycakes_87) for the inspiration and the continued support as I tried to transfer from one tech platform to a new one!