This year I mailed every student a personalized postcard home. It was a slow process. I wrote 5 a day, skipping days I was maxxed out, and it took me September thru December. My colleague Lisa actually inspired me – she sends letters home BEFORE the start of school!

I purchased my own special cards on ZAZZLE when they were running sales. I’m a Spanish teacher so I sent them cards from various Spanish speaking countries.

Here are the reasons I loved doing this:

1. It forced me to think about just that student for a few minutes. What they bring to the class, what their strengths are, and wonder about them and how to get to know them.
  2. I saw my students addresses. It’s important to know where your students homes are.
  3. I highlighted in the message things we value “Your participation in class is awesome!” “You are so kind to your peers!”
  4. When I look up addresses, I see parent info. It’s a reminder for every child that it’s 1/120 kids, but it’s somebody’s baby

Most important tip: keep a list (I use my rosters) to keep track of who I sent them to. You WILL NOT REMEMBER.

I have received some really nice emails or comments in class about the cards. 100 kids haven’t mentioned it, but that doesn’t mean the message wasn’t received.