About  a month ago, Christopher Edmin tweeted about the importance of hanging around teachers you want to be like, “The kind of teacher you will become is directly related to the kind of teachers you associate with. Avoid people who are unhappy and disgruntled about the possibilities for transforming education. They are the enemy of the spirit of the teacher

Not a week later, my lunch buddy was talking about another teacher and said “She made me want to be a better teacher and she made me a better teacher”. Wow, talk about an arrow to the heart! I want to be THAT kind of colleague!

When I first started teaching, like the kids, I really wanted to fit in. There were a group of staff called “the negatives”. Their coffee conversations revolved around how bad kids these days were, how horrible the administration was, and sometimes picking on other teachers who had different methodologies. While I had been warned to avoid them, I found that they were the easiest and most welcome group to be accepted into – all you had to do was complain!

After a few weeks of that, I was pretty down about my job. There was no joy in waking up and knowing I’d be working in a school, with children. At 21, my teaching profession was starting to look more like a prison sentence than a magical career. And that just wasn’t going to work for me.

So, I found some new friends. I watched my colleagues who seemed passionate and happy and would use a few ice-breakers “that lesson looked great” “what are your students doing today?” and even “can you help me fill out these forms for District Office”. Lame, but hey, I had to find a way in!

By year three I would say I was well connected with some pretty amazing educators. The kinds that inspire me to be a better teacher.My teaching was really improving as a result, and my love of my profession was growing. These were some traits I noticed about the people that inspire me:

• they smile – a lot!
  • they like children
  • they are constantly learning
  • they are passionate about their content
  • they like to talk about new methodologies
  • they praise their students and colleagues
  • they get excited about new ideas and movements
  • their lessons change a lot over the years
  • they take risks
  • they listen
  • they do a lot of work after-hours (this might be at home or in their classroom)
  • they are deeply reflective about their practice and open to give and receive feedback* (*that does NOT mean standing at the copier or hallways and doling out unsolicited advice on teaching- that is NOT how to make educator friends*)

Now, don’t get me wrong. All these folks have had days in which we gossiped, didn’t feel so passionate and maybe complained about the kids. But these moments are the exception rather than the rule. And some of my teaching friends, including myself, really struggle on one or two of these. That’s OK, nobody is perfect.

I will continue to strive to be the kind of teacher that inspires others through my actions, but as Chris Edmin wrote, we are influenced by our social circles. Choose wisely, and remember there is always a new teacher looking to start their career who you have the power to influence too.